STARGAZING AT PAFURI RIVER CAMP
Pafuri River Camp is the ideal setting for an out of this world stellar experience. The unpolluted, light free splendour of the South African night sky, in the relaxing atmosphere of Pafuri River Camp is perfect for an evening's stargazing.
Come and look at some of the deepsky objects and constellations that are not visible north of the equator such as:
To book your Night Sky Safari please contact Pafuri River Camp.
- Crux, the Southern Cross
- Mensa, the Table in reference to Table Mountain, the only constellation in the sky named after a feature on Earth.
- Omega Centauri and 47 Tucanae, the two brightest and biggest of the globular clusters.
- The Large and Small Megellanic Clouds, two of our neighbouring galaxies 180 000 light years away, discovered in 1520 by the Portuguese explorer Magellan.
- The Coalsack Nebula, a dark cloud of dust 500 light years away, blocking out the bright star back ground of the Milky Way, which is best seen from the Southern Hemisphere.
- The Tarantula Nebula, a stellar birthplace visible to the naked eye, when seen through a telescope is magnificent.
- These and others are just some of the naked eye night sky gems that are visible at Pafuri River Camp.